“El Pueblo que yo soñe”: “The village that I dream of”
Alhaurin el Grande is a village in Andalusia, near Malaga. Alhaurin is approximately 16 kilometers from the airport of Malaga.
The holiday homes of Casa Ester are located in the municipality of Alhaurin el Grande, less than 10 minutes’ drive from the center. A good base to see and do everything!
The specific properties of Andalusia
The Spanish region of Andalusia is known for its tapas, Spanish wines and dishes, the olive groves, the diversity of fruit orchards and above all it is known for its varied impressive landscape with its many wonderful natural parks and white villages. All these properties can of course be found in and around Alhaurin el Grande.
In this far south of Spain you will also find a lot of cultural heritage such as bullfighting, flamenco, the many preserved historical sights and cultural cities such as Malaga, Ronda, Cordoba, Granada and Seville where the influences of the Moors and other peoples are still visible. to be.
Alhaurin has a Mediterranean climate with hot summers and mild winters with sometimes rain. The Costa del Sol owes its name to the many hours of sunshine.
Where is Alhaurin el Grande exactly?
Alhaurin el Grande is located near Malaga, a port city on the Costa del Sol. Alhaurin el Grande is located at the foot of the north side of the Sierra de Mijas and overlooks the spectacular Guadalhorce valley.Alhaurin el Grande is less than 16 km away. distance from Malaga airport. You will visit the Costa del Sol within 15 to 20 minutes
with its beautiful seaside resorts such as Malaga, Torremolinos, Marbella, Benalmádena and Fuengirola.
The distance to the beautiful area Caminito del Rey is approximately 40 minutes drive.
The distances to the beautiful cities such as Ronda Granada and Seville are on average 1.5 to 2 hours away.
Alhaurin el Grande is known for its gastronomy. In the main street Camino de Malaga you will find many cozy and good restaurants, cafes and shops. The range of restaurants is very varied. There is a choice of o, a, an Argentinian, Chinese, Spanish, Indian, Italian, Bistro and a Fish restaurant. There are good bakers, supermarkets, coffee houses where you can eat Spanish bocadillos (sandwiches) and a busy ice cream parlor.
What can you do in Alhaurin el Grande?
Alhaurin is a beautiful, cozy white Spanish village and has approximately 24,000 inhabitants. The very friendly inhabitants of Alhaurin el Grande are called Los Alhaurinos
Although Alhaurin el Grande is not flooded by tourism. there are tourists from various countries during the high season. Nevertheless, you will experience a bustling village, where especially the Spanish character is very tangible and perceptible, but tourists are also very welcome.
Alhaurin el Grande is also a village that is characterized by the many cultural and religious festivals. A number of spectacular festivals such as Semana Santa (Easter) and Carnival. During these religious festivals, the village is lavishly decorated and the village is completely turned upside down! It is highly recommended to experience this.
A stone’s throw away are beautiful (mountain) hiking routes such as the Red Municipal de Senderos de Alhaurin el Grande and Barranco Blanco route (waterfall route). See also outdoor (walking)
There are also opportunities for golf in the immediate vicinity. As soon as you leave our street to the main street Camino de Malaga you will soon be on the road that is very popular among cyclists and motorcyclists, because of the beautiful surroundings. Did you know that in 2018 the route of the Vuelta (cycling tour stage) came along here?
For additional information see also https://alhaurinelgrande.es
- The sights in Alhaurin:
- Iglesia de Nuestra Señora de la Encarnación A Catholic 17th century church
- The San Sebastian iglesia: A small white Spanish church hidden in the village.
- Santa Vera Cruz is a beautiful church in a beautiful location, next to the church there is a ruin of an old Roman building. There is also a nice viewpoint with some Roman columns
- KMC Espana: A Buddhist temple and meditation center outside of Alhaurin el Grande
- The hiking trails of Sierra de Mijas
- Barranco Blanco: Waterfall
- The village festivals
Village festivals and events in Alhaurin el Grande
- 17 February -San Anton
- February 23 Carnival
- March: Semana Santa (Easter) declared a National Tourist Interest in Andalusia. It is the most important celebration of Alhaurin el Grande.
- May 1: Pilgrimage of the Guadalhorce Villafranco
- 1-3 May: Feast Day of the Cross
- May 15: San Isidro Labrador
- Last week of May: Feria de Alhaurin el Grande, It is celebrated for five days and coincides with the last weekend of May.
- July, first weekend: Fair and festivals of the Guadalhorce Villafranco.
- 15 August Feast of Our Lady of Grace
- First half of August: Pilgrimage in honor of the Christ of the Agony.
- Third Saturday in August: Noche Flamenca de Alhaurin
Stay in Alhaurin el Grande
For stays and overnight stays in Alhaurin el Grande you can go to one of our holiday homes .